Boost your Immunity – Dr. Sarah Kent | ND
Your immune system is like your body’s army, constantly assessing threats and mounting responses to fight and clear them. Here are my favourite ways to boost immune strength and ensure that when my defence system goes to bat for me they have the resources and talent they need to stop any foreign invaders.
3) Good nutrition
5) Potanical support
6) Homeopathic support, including immune boosting shot!
Rest – helps the body to repair. It helps the body fight infections, mount fevers and balance out the cells that make the immune system. With altered sleep especially chronic sleep loss, aspects of the immune system can increase inflammation, decrease antibody production and become ill equipped at fighting off infections.
Exercise – improves circulation, increases body temperatures and decreases stress hormones. All of which help our immune system stay in tip top shape.
Good nutrition – you are what you eat. Ensuring your diet is full of good minerals and vitamins and anti-inflammatory type foods that facilitate optimal gastrointestinal (GI) health / absorptions is key. This is so the army has the right type of support to stay healthy and well prepared.
Probiotics: Good bacteria in the GI tract helps to balance certain areas of the immune response (Th1 vs Th2, cytokine response). Your GI tract is the most densely populated area of immune system tissue (as in the lymph system, specifically the Gust Associated Lymphoid Tract – GALT). So keep it clean and nourished.
Botanical – I love a good tincture when I can get it. For overall good immune function I like using herbs such as Astragulus membranacea & Ganoderma lucidum. For acute infections I tend to use other herbs.
- Astragulus membranacea – used for deep immune activation, immunomodulator, increases red blood cells formation, increases white blood cells, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory. Contains high – molecular weight polysaccharides, flavenoid glycosides and triterpenoid saponin glycosides.
- Ganoderma lucidum – used for deep immune strength, stress gland protector, antibacterial, antioxidant, pteices liver, moderates blood sugar metabolism. In Traditional Chinese Medicine its used to calm and sedate the Shen (spirit) as well as nourish Qi (energy)
Homeopathy – as far as immune prophylaxis and immune boosting, the poscoeleucyn injection has been touted by the company as a “non-specific immunomodulator” (4) that improves immune function in chronic and acute cases” (4). Homeopathic medicine is gentle very low dose of plants, minerals etc that form the basis of a remedy. People tend to either be responders to homeopathic medicine or non responders as with many other forms of medicine.
If you are interested in receiving more information or are wanting the immunity booster injection, please contact me (email@example.com).
For the month of December and January I will be offering the injection for $25.
In my opinion its good to get sick 1-2 times a year. Its a challenge for your immune system and allows you some downtime. When I mean sick I mean a gentle cold. A debilitating infection that keeps you laid up for weeks is perhaps not so good. So, always take rest at the onset of a sickness and keep the above points in mind to help your immune system stay strong all year round.
1 Calder, Philip C, Kew, Samantha. The immune system: a target for functional foods? British Journal of Nutrition. 2002, 88, S165-S176
2.Kent E., Hubbard N., Probiotic Immunomodulation in Health and Disease. Journal of Nutrition. 2000
3. Saunders, P., Godfrey, A. Naturopathic Botanical Medicine Volume 1: Botanical Medicine Monographs. CCNM Press: Toronto. 2010
4. Coedy, Robbin. Cole and Flue Prevention. Pascoe Natural medicine