Posted by Roger Menta, DC
On October 23-25, 2015 Ascent Integrative Health, a specialized running clinic, hosted The Running Clinic as they provided the most up-to-date information on the prevention of running injuries. Friday night kicked off at the University of Calgary downtown campus, where Jean-Francois Esculier entertained a room full of runners, triathletes, coaches, and health professionals as he provided a substantial amount of current research to challenge our conventional way of thinking about running injuries in just 2 hours. This seminar was followed-up by an intensive 2-day course that brought health professionals from Calgary, Edmonton, British Columbia, and as far as the Northwest Territories together in search of a new paradigm to help runners not only run pain-free, but to perform optimally.
Topics of discussion included:
- Reasons runners become injured and the long-term effects of these injuries
- Optimal footwear for both runners and children
- Usefulness of foot orthoses
- Exercise prescriptions for injury prevention and rehabilitation
Why Should I Run? As chiropractors we often hear people asking the big question “Why should I run? I hear that it will ruin my knees and hips.”
5 reasons why you should start or continue running:
- Exercise is medicine (stay tuned for future posts on this topic)
- Running is nature’s exercise, humans were built to run
- It’s good for your bones
- A sense of community and mental health
- Runners have a 30% lower risk of death overall and a 45% lower risk of death from heart disease or stroke than non-runners
If you are currently suffering from a running injury, are interested in starting a new running program, or are looking to perform better contact Dr. Roger Menta or Dr. Scott Fisher to book your running assessment today. We will provide you with a detailed analysis and individualized program to get you on track as soon as possible.